Fossil fuels are a group of energy resources that are obtained from ancient plants.
There are three main types of fossil fuels:
Fossil fuels are the most essential and prominent energy source. These are used everywhere, from energy generation to heating the rooms. Its effects on the ecosystem are also well known, but there are also several good things related to using.
Fossil fuels have both positive and negative impacts on the environment. For example, these are reliable and inexpensive energy sources.
Their transportation and handling are also effortless. On the other hand, these are not environment-friendly and cause pollution.
Fossil fuels are in a limited amount, and these are decreasing day by day.
Now the people concern the advantages and disadvantages of fossils fuels, and it is the primary debate in today’s society.
Pros of Fossil Fuels:
- Fossil fuels consider as the cheapest source of energy.
- These are using for more than 200 years ago and since present in an abundant amount.
- Fossil fuels are easy to process and reduce the overall cost.
- These economic friendly resources provide a large amount of energy to run the daily life.
- This non-renewable energy resource is present with sufficient stock to make these resources more efficient there is a need to redesign the expensive systems of processing.
- The main advantage of Fossil fuels is that they do not rely on natural systems.
- Regardless of customer demands, it provides an abundant amount of energy.
- We can easily calculate the amount of power by the burning process of fossil fuels.
- Reliable energy that can be obtained from fossil fuels is using all over the world.
- In cold countries where sunny days are just 60%, they rely more on natural resources and build a substantial solar infrastructure.
- Energy production is convenient and offers a large amount of energy to the consumers.
3. Safe and easy to transport
- In the pros of fossil fuel, this point means a lot. In the modern era, the transport of Fossil fuels is effortless and relatively safe to transport.
- Transportation of other energy resources like water, wind, tidal waves, and nuclear reactors is almost impossible.
- Fossil fuels are collected from all over the world and transport from a considerable distance to the population.
- It decreases the health hazard and saves the environment. For assembling the gas and oil, the pipes can easily set underground. There are many effective ways to transport fossil fuels.
4. Energy efficient
- Fossil fuels are more energy efficient as compare to other energy sources. It means we can get a large amount of energy.
- For example, oil gives us 45 billion joules of energy per cubic, whereas wind produces only 7 joules per cubic meter.
- Therefore, less usage of coal and oil can give a tremendous amount of energy, and it is more efficient for cars.
- No renewable resource is more energy-efficient than fossil fuels.
5. Available in Plenty
- People are relying on fossil fuels for many years, but there is no reduction in fossil fuels in the world.
- Because we have plenty of people who gather coal and oil, people transport them for processing and energy making.
- In the good things about fossil fuels, these are very easy to find. Fossil fuels are present all over the world in an abundant amount.
- We want to extract oil from under the sea; we can find several resources from particular areas under the sea.
- Fossil fuels are also crucial in making valuable products with byproducts. The process is straightforward.
- When the oil is extracted from different parts of the earth, it divides into different groups. It uses for various purposes.
- Many groups are using for energy production, but some of the groups are unable to produce energy like Naphtha.
- Instead of wastage, Naphtha is used to make useful plastic. We will not be able to make helpful plastic without fossil fuels.
7. Global distribution
- Fossil fuels are present everywhere. There are a lot of veins of coal, gas, and crude oil.
- Once a vein has been tapped, large amounts of fuel can be extracted from it.
- It means that a lot of resources can take from a relatively small area.
- The other benefit of Fossil fuels is, these are present everywhere. Coal, gas, and crude oil are present in abundant amounts.
8.Low infrastructure requirement
- Electricity generation plants are safe and easy to set. We can get a large amount of energy in a single place.
- All setup is easy to maintain and creates several jobs for nearby people.
- Like other renewable sources, fossil fuels do not depend on wind, air, water, and sun.
- Fossil plants can be set anywhere in the world and increase the overall economy of the world.
- These plants are capable of generating a considerable amount of energy at a single place.
- Due to labor-intensive extraction and transportation, fossil fuels offer a large number of jobs.
9.Easy to extract:
- Now the technology has developed the number of equipments that helps you in the extraction of coal and oil an insufficient amount.
- In this way, we can use fossil fuels in a better way. It is the best option to use fossil fuels because there is a lot of investment of money on it.
- All countries and states in the world have some access to natural fossil fuels; that’s why fossil fuels are present all over the world.
Cons of Fossil fuels:
1. Finite resource
- In fact, Fossil fuels are a non-renewable resource, and it takes millions of years to form in the crust of the earth.
- In this era, the usage of Fossil fuels is more than production. If this ratio remains constant, we can suffer a shortage of natural resources.
- It is a significant issue now a day because we cannot produce enough energy without fossil fuels to rum technology and industries.
- Our societies rely on these functions. There is also no such kind of improvement in extraction techniques.
- Mostly old and inefficient methods are using for extraction.
2. Environmental impacts of extraction
- Although fossil fuels are removed from the earth’s crust, and we can extract oil and natural gas by it.
- Both processes like mining and drilling and source of pollution.
- Strip mining removes a large surface area to search the coal deposits.
- It leads to soil erosion and disturbs the life of living animals on earth.
- Oil extraction also causes issues. It releases heavy metals in a large amount that disturbs the ecosystem.
- Land for installation provides many difficulties, and underground water supplies are also contaminating.
3. Climate change
- Carbon dioxide gas released in large quantities that directly effects the ecosystem and greenhouses.
- Greenhouse gases are the leading cause of climate change. This problem is increasing rapidly, causing the most significant issue on the planet.
- Climate change causes extreme weather conditions. The sea level is also increasing. If the conditions remain the same, it will be disastrous for the world.
For more information read this: Fossil Fuels Environmental Effects
4. Water usage
- There is a great need for water for fossil fuel power plants, and the world is facing a shortage of water supply.
- Water needs for cooling, and it is directly taken from rivers and lakes.
- According to estimates, a fossil fuel power plant utilizes four times more water supply. Water is becoming unsuitable for usage.
5. Rising costs
- In the negatives of fossil fuels, rising cost is very crucial. It is becoming harder and scarcer day by day.
- These processes make the extraction expensive as compare to the alternatives of fossil fuels.
- When we talk about the advantages and disadvantages of fossil fuels, it is mention that the negative impacts of fossil fuels are damaging our environment.
- Now, many countries are moving to alternatives to Fossil fuels to save money and time. The rest of the world is also planning to follow them.
7. Public Health Issues:
- The major drawback of Fossil fuels is, these are not environment-friendly.
- The burning of fossil fuels emits carbon particles that cause serious environmental concerns.
- According to WHO, more than 7 million premature deaths take place because of pollution.
- Air pollution leads to lung diseases and asthma. Water pollution causes abdominal obstruction and leads to nausea, vomiting, and stomach issues.
- People who live in cities or near large traffic areas are more concerned about pollution.
As we know, Fossil fuels are non-renewable energy resources, and they provide a tremendous amount of energy.This energy is used to run factories and technology. Moreover, fossil fuels are inexpensive and easy to use.
These reliable energy sources also provide useful products.Unfortunately, fossil fuels also show some drawbacks like, these are not environment friends.
Carbon emits from the burning of fossil fuels that causes pollution and increases the risk of diseases. Fossil fuels are also getting limited due to high consumption.